Polishing Perfection Since The Dawn Of Digital
This is intended for educational purposes in my classroom.
NO retransmission or use in any other manner allowed.
All copyrights are retained by the original holders. -KK
Enticing the suspension of disbelief since the dawn of digital.
Calibration is important!
- Start with your ears first!
- Garbage In/Out vs. Another designers “gold”
- High Frequencies impact women differently than men
- Consider frequency “clichés”
- Mixing, balance, panorama, and emotional resonance
M4C: Listening To The Frame
HEARING v. LISTENING
D.M.E. + LULL = SOUNDTRACK
MECHANICAL | PSYCHOLOGICAL
- Projector(Early Days) / Audience(Today more than ever?)
- Mood(Everyone gets this!) / Atmosphere (Designed reality)
"Foreground gives us a sense of conscience" -Hearing The Movies
What Are Stems?
Dialogue | Music | Effects
- Volume v. Loudness
- Silence is ALWAYS designed!
- Presence v. Ambience
The Art Of Catching
- Character theme (presence or absence) can also identify objects, locations, etc.
- Emotional specificity
- Influence / organization
- Formal & rhythmic continuity
- Sound advance
- Underscoring = non-diegetic
- Background Music = accompaniment, commentative, dramatic scoring.
- EVERYTHING INFLUENCES EVERYTHING
USING LOUDNESS: TEXTURAL GREYZONES
- Our hearing is measurable AND subjective.
- Orchestration = TIMBRE
THE AUDIENCE'S REALITY:
OBJECTIVE(Hearing) v. SUBJECTIVE(Listening)
- TEMPO (BPM) | PACE (fast/slow)
- FREQUENCY (Hz) | PITCH (high/low)
- AMPLITUDE (dB) | LOUDNESS (soft/loud)
- HARMONIC COMPLEXITY (+/-) | TIMBRE(good/bad)